Congratulations...You have decided to marry and commit yourselves to a lifetime of mutual love, learning and discovery. May God bless you and your life together.
BEFORE YOU SET THE DATE...as soon as you decide to marry, contact the parish to begin the Marriage Preparation Process. this should occur before any other permanent arrangements are made for the wedding date and reception; minimally 6 to 9 months before the anticipated wedding date.At Our Lady of the Visitation, wedding dates can only be confirmed by a priest. Please call the Parish Office at 922-2056.
Archdiocesan Guidelines require that engaged couples participate in a marriage preparation process best suited to their needs. The following are the stages or steps that are recommended for all engaged couples:
- Initially, the engaged couple meets with the parish priest, deacon or marriage minister to gather information; participate in assessment process/administer premarital inventory; set a wedding date.
- The priest, deacon or marriage minister will schedule subsequent meeting to discuss the forms and results of pre-marital inventory.
- At least 3 months prior to your wedding date, you should attend one or more diocesan sponsored or recognized marriage preparation programs. Some of the options are PreCana, Engaged Encounter, or a parish based program.
- You will meet with the parish minister to review the entire preparation process and plan the wedding liturgy.
- In the early years of marriage it is recommended that you participate in some form of marriage enrichment. Your local parish and the Archdiocesan Family Life Office may assist you in this endeavor.